verkisto

Samuel R. Delany
Jackals
Charles L. Grant

Jailbait Zombie

Jailbait Zombie - Mario Acevedo I'm not sure if Mario Acevedo set out to make it difficult to find images of his book covers by running the titles through Google search, but with The Undead Kama Sutra and now Jailbait Zombie, I can say with certainty that you'll get distracted by the other results you get. I guess what I'm saying is make sure you have Safe Search on if you try such a thing.

Anyway, with Jailbait Zombie, Acevedo moves further away from the titles of his books having anything to do with the actual story. A jailbait zombie is mentioned, but only in passing, and it never comes to fruition. Instead, the story is about Felix chasing after zombies while also trying to figure out the source of his hallucinations about the family he accidentally killed in Iraq and why a local girl was so strange.

The story was OK, but nothing great by any means. It's well-paced and is as compelling as The Undead Kama Sutra, but it wasn't a very satisfactory story. The characters seemed two-dimensional and had motivations that flopped around based on where the story was going. Even Felix flip-flopped about, though in at least one case it was somewhat justified. I think the previous book was like that too, only I just didn't notice it until I was reading this one.

I'm still concerned about Acevedo's portrayal of women. In one scene, Felix goes to visit the ex-girlfriend of a suspect, who he's already learned moved around a lot, and dabbled in making meth. When he finally meets the ex-girlfriend, and reveals who he's looking for, the woman has some choice words for her ex-boyfriend and slams the door in Felix's face. His response is to call her a harpy. Later he encounters a woman who is just ill-tempered and he calls her a shrew, but in the first instance, I don't even see how he could justify that kind of remark, unless he's supposed to be a character who has a complete disregard for other people's situations. Given how he reacts to Phaedra, the troubled teen, and the fact that he's supposed to be a sympathetic character proves otherwise.

I only have one left book to go to finish out this series, and I already have the book, but if I didn't, I don't think I would bother with it. I remember the first two books being fun, light, silly romps, but the last two have just been overdone, and both of them have ended with very little resolved, and two major plot points that aren't concluded. The fifth book might cover some of these loose ends, but I thought that this one would cover some of the ones left untied at the end of The Undead Kama Sutra, and that didn't turn out to be true. As it is, though, I wouldn't recommend either of these books, and I probably need to rethink what I thought of the first two books, as well.