verkisto

Samuel R. Delany
Jackals
Charles L. Grant

Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse: A Novel

Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse: A Novel - Victor Gischler I've had this book for a few years. I forget exactly why I picked it up (the author is still an unknown to me, despite him having written several books before this one), but with a title like Go-Go Girls of the Apocalypse, I felt like I couldn't go wrong. I can report that I was correct.

The story is about Mortimer Tate, a survivalist who took refuge in a cave when, nine years ago, the world went crazy. Nuclear bombs took out most of the big cities and governments, and now the world is a post-apocalyptic wasteland of sorts, with people killing each other over food and supplies, and everything you might expect from a zombie story. The thing is, (a) there are no zombies, and (b) it doesn't really matter why the world is devastated. Just accept that it is, and move on from there. Mortimer finally leaves his cave and tries to reunite with his wife, and along the way ... well, honestly, you should just read the book and find out what happens.

This book is a lot of fun to read. It reminded me a little bit of a profane Terry Pratchett with its wit and satire, and the sense of humor permeating the book was a real treat. Gischler even went so far as to include a cameo of a somewhat famous person in the narrative, though he never comes right out and tells you who he is (though he gives you enough clues to confirm that, yes, that is who you think it is). I read it in just a few hours, tearing through the book at a pace that was welcome after having trudged through House of Leaves.

This isn't a deep read by any means, and some of the characterization is pretty flat, outside of the main characters (and if I'm being honest, some of the main characters are a bit two-dimensional), but overall this was a heck of a read. Anyone looking for silly, smarmy fun and isn't put off by the title should give it a go. I doubt you'd be disappointed.