verkisto

Samuel R. Delany
Jackals
Charles L. Grant

The Last Olympian

The Last Olympian - Rick Riordan I’m a little behind in updating my reviews. For example, this book I finished back in September, and just never got around to writing it up. I hate it when I do that. I have a bad habit of forgetting a lot of details after I finish a book, and it gets harder and harder to summarize a book the longer I wait to do so. Luckily, this is the last book in the Percy Jackson series, so maybe I can fake it till I make it.

What I do remember is not liking this quite as much as the other books in the series. The author did a great job setting up the triangle between Percy, Rachel, and Annabeth, but then he seemed to wrap it up too easily. The battles were interesting and intriguing, and the narrative had a great flow that kept me reading at an easy clip, but I think the underlying story left a lot to be desired. This is a juvenile novel, so I expect that a happy ending is necessary, but I would have liked it to have a little more uncertainty, like there was at the end of The Battle of the Labyrinth. Otherwise, though, the story made it to its most logical conclusion, and was satisfying.

Overall, I think this story was entertaining, well-written, and enjoyable. The comparisons with Harry Potter are unavoidable, but at least the author sets a different tone, and takes his characters in different directions to keep it from being a cookie-cutter sequel of a series. I’m not sure that I’m interested in reading the Egyptian series, or the Camp Half-Blood chronicles, but I enjoyed the heck out of these books.